- Bright F2.5 LEICA DC VARIO-SUMMARIT Lens from 24mm Ultra Wide-angle
- HD Video Recording
- MEGA O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer) for Suppressing Hand-shake Blur
- iA (Intelligent Auto) Mode for One-press Beauty
- Various Special Functions Featuring Panorama Shot Mode and Beauty Retouch
- High-speed Response Featuring Sonic Speed AF
The DMC-FS40 incorporates bright F2.5 LEICA DC VARIO-SUMMARIT lens from 24mm ultra wide-angle. The F2.5 lens is approx. 25% brighter than the F2.8 lens which is generally considered a bright lens. It allows the use of faster shutter speed but captures clear, blur-free images even in low lighting situation. The 5x optical zoom increases its power to 10x equivalent with the Intelligent Zoom function. This is an extensive zoom function using digital zoom with minimum deterioration of image quality thanks to the Intelligent Resolution technology.
The DMC-FS40 is capable of recording 14.1-megapixel high-resolution photos. The Sonic Speed AF helps to catch even the most fleeting photo opportunities. In video recording, the DMC-FS40 can record motion pictures in high-definition (1,280 x 720 pixels in Motion JPEG format). With the LUMIX Image Uploader, you can upload photos to Facebook™ and videos to YouTube™ with simple operation.
The MEGA O.I.S. compensates for blurring caused by hand-shake. Apart from the digital image correction, the MEGA O.I.S. corrects a jolt of light axis by shifting the O.I.S. lens unit to offset it. Thus the image is not affected digitally nor deteriorated at all. The MEGA O.I.S. lets you shoot in dimly lit rooms or evening illumination without losing the mood. It also works for macro shots and zoom shots, which are especially susceptible to hand-shake. Together with the bright LEICA DC lens, the DMC-FS40 powerfully suppresses blurring.
In the iA Mode, advanced detection functions work automatically and simultaneously to optimize your settings, making it easier than ever to take beautiful photos every time. The iA Mode includes the MEGA O.I.S. to detect hand-shake, Intelligent ISO Control to detect subject movement, Face Detection AF/AE to detect faces in the frame and adjust the brightness of the face properly, Intelligent Scene Selector to detect scene conditions, and Intelligent Exposure to detect the brightness level.
The Panorama Shot in the Scene Mode makes it possible to shoot horizontal / vertical panoramic images by overlaying consequently shot images. The Scene Mode lets the camera make the optimal settings for you automatically, so anybody can take superb photos with ease. The Beauty Retouch Mode makes it possible to virtually apply make-up on the faces. The Auto Retouch function adjusts contrast and brightness to give different impression to the photo with just a press of the button.
- Dimensions (W x H x D) 96.4 x 55.5 x 19.9 mm / (3.80 x 2.19 x 0.78 inch)
- Weight Approx. 103g without Battery and SD Memory Card (0.23 lb) / Approx. 119g with Battery and SD Memory Card (0.26 lb)
- Camera Effective Pixels 14.1 Megapixels
- Sensor Size / Total Pixels / Filter 1/2.33-type CCD sensor / 14.5 Total Megapixels / Primary Color Filter
- Aperture F2.5 - F6.4 / 2-Step (F2.5 / 9.0 (W), F6.4 / 20.0 (T))
- Optical Zoom 5.0x
- Focal Length f=4.3-21.5mm (24-120mm in 35mm equiv.) / (39-156mm in 35mm equiv. in video recording)
- Extra Optical Zoom (EZ) 5.9x (4:3 / 10M), 8.4x (4:3 / 5M), 10.5x(4:3 / under 3M)
- Intelligent Zoom 10.0x
- Lens LEICA DC VARIO-SUMMARIT / 6 elements in 5 groups / (3 Aspherical Lenses / 5 Aspherical surfaces)
- Optical Image Stabilizer MEGA O.I.S. (Off / On)
- Digital Zoom 4x
- Focusing Area Normal / Intelligent AUTO / Motion Picture : Wide 5 cm - infinity / Tele 100cm - infinity
- AF Assist Lamp Yes
- Focus Normal / Quick AF (Always On)
- AF Metering Face / Multi (23pt) / 1pt
- Shutter Speed approx. 8 - 1/1600 sec